Sunday, September 28, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
2. Which cricketer nicknamed Billy Bunter--the stout character from the Pickwick papers-- became embroiled in controversy in the third Test at Newlands ,during England's 1964-65 tour of South Africa, after he survived a bat-pad chance when England bowler Fred Titmus thought he had had him caught by Peter Parfitt in the gully?
3. Vladimir Nabokov dismissed this literary work-- which abandoned all conventions of plot and character construction and is written in a peculiar and obscure language, based mainly on complex multi-level puns(This approach is similar to, but far more extensive than that used by Lewis Carroll in Jabberwocky)--as "rubbish".During the progress of this work the author worked rapidly on it, but progress slowed considerably. This was due to a number of factors, including the death of his father , concern over the mental health of his daughter and his own health problems, including failing eyesight. Much of the work was done with the assistance of younger admirers, including Samuel Beckett.Identify the book and its famous author.
4. The gates of the X are behind the white VW Beetle on the left, which, according to some proponents of the "C is Dead" conspiracy theory, was parked there intentionally as a rebus. Those subscribing to the "C is Dead" theory believed the procession on this cover was supposed to reflect a preacher (A), an undertaker (B), a corpse (C) and a gravedigger (D).
There have been many homages to this iconic cover.
Identify X,A,B,C,the album and also explan the "C is dead" theory?
5. "After his first training session in heaven,'X',from his favourite right wing,turned the head of 'Y' who was filling in at left back.He nutmegged him and scored a wonderful goal from 30 yards out.I would love him to save me a place in his team- 'X' that is,not 'Y'."
Whose famous lines are these? Also identify 'X' and 'Y'.
Cassirer,Kessler,Druet,Stadel,Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda,Goring,Kramarsky,Saito.
(full names intenionally not given so as to prevent google-ing.)
7. ____,____ , What Are They Feeding You, _____, _____, It's Not Your Fault
They Won't Take You To The Vet, Oviously Not Their Favourite Pet, It May Not Be A Bed Of Roses, And You're Not Friend Of Those With Noses
_____, _____, What Are They Feeding You, ______, ______, It's Not Your Fault.
Fill in the blanks (all blanks have same answer)...hence name the song and the artist.
8. Which luxury brand carries a name of family of jewellers whose well known pieces include the famous Bestiary, the diamond necklace created for Yadavindra Singh the Maharaja of Patiala and in 1904 the first practical wristwatch, the "Santos"?
N.B. - Encrypt all answers in rot13 format:http://www.rot13.com/
P.S. - Questions 1 to 3 contributed by TPM.