Sunday, December 28, 2008
Friday, December 19, 2008
the connect is VALKYRIE
pic1-Richard Wagner composer of the opera The Valkyrie
pic2-A Valkyrie, who according to norse mytho is one of a host of female figures that chooses who will win or die in battle. The valkyries bring their chosen who have died bravely in battle to the afterlife hall of the slain.
pic3-Claus von Stauffenberg, one of the central figures of Operation Valkyrie, an unsuccessful attempt to assassin hitler in 1944.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Cutty Sark is the connect
pic1-Cutty Sark,a clipper ship built in Scotland, named after Burns' character
pic2-Cutty Sark (whisky), a brand of Scotch whisky named after the ship (features in many famous flicks including goodfellas and raging bull)
pic3-Robert Burns,who created the character Cutty-Sark(witch) in his poem
Monday, December 8, 2008
1. Flare Gun
2. Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention
3. Claude Nobs (founder and manager of Montreux Jazz Festival)
4. Montreux Casino (burning)
5. Lake Geneva
Connect- Smoke on the water by deep purple
Deep Purple had set up a camp in Montreux,Switzerland to record their album 'Machinehead' at the rolling stones mobile studios which was a part of the Montreux casino. The fire broke out during the frank zappa and the mothers of inventions' concert which was being held at the casino's theatre. Claude Nobs helped quite a few of the audience to safety.
The lyrics are as follows:
We all came out to Montreux,
On the Lake Geneva shoreline.
To make records with a mobile,
We didn't have much time.
But Frank Zappa and the Mothers,
Were at the best place around,
But some stupid with a flare gun,
Burned the place to the ground.
Smoke on the water and fire in the sky.
Smoke on the water...
They burned down the gambling house,
It died with an awful sound.
Funky Claude was running in and out,
Pulling kids out the ground......
Friday, December 5, 2008
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Thursday, October 9, 2008
2. X is the patron saint of the seamen. He has lent his anme to a strange phenomenon Y which occurs in ships, science explaining it as a result of corona discharge. Charles Darwin aboard the Beagle too noted Y as case of "everything in fire....water with luminous particles". The Greeks attributed this to the elements of fire. Identify X and Y.
3.Its the FTSE 100in London, the CAC-40 in Paris and the DAX in Frankfurt. How do we know its avatar in India?
4._______ Clarrisa, Lady Mallowan (nee Miller) was a Dame of the British Empire and assumed the nom de plume of Mary Westmacott for penning romantic novels rather than the genre she is acclaimed for. She got the idea of a character X of her novels during the World War II. X was termed as an 'ego-centric creep' but she decided to continue with it. Fill in the blank and identify X.
5.We will have probably heard of the Oedipus complex where the son harbours an antagonism towards his father and an unusual attachment for his mother. The term was coined by Sigmund Freud. What is the corresponding analogy for a daughter for her father?
6.During the World War II, these two cities were spared in England by Hitler during the London Blitz. History has it that the main reason behind this spare was that Hitler wanted to develop these two cities as seats of academic excellence in his new Germany. Which were these two cities?
7.The Portuguese, when in India, found this type of bread to be very appetizing and just perfect for their culinary desires. The name of this bread hung on and evolved into an Indian 'fast food item' that is invariably associated with the Marathis and synonymous with Maharashtrian culture. Which is this lip-smacking culinary delight I am talking of? (Hope Raj Thackarey is reading....!)
9.X is a painting of a member of the Gherardini family of Florence of Florentine silk merchant Francesco del Giocondo. The painting was commissioned for his new home and to celebrate the birth of his second son, Andrea. The painting has been the subject of hot controversies, sometimes due to contention on the subject of the painting and sometimes due to its certain features. The painting has withstood theft and vandalism bit till today is as ambiguous as ever. What is X?
10.This man landed in a hot soup when the President of India visited his corporation's premises and instead of playing the recital version of the Indian national anthem, only the instrumental version was played. This evoked the ire of the nation's politicians who demanded serious action. This man apologised, citing the sensitivity towards his foreign guests who would be embarassed if the anthem was recited. Who am I talking about?
11. The following image shows the cover of this magazine's first edition. It was founded in 1841 by Henry Mayhew and engraver Ebenezeer Landells alongwith Mark Lemon.
The magazine's subtitle 'Charivari' is a satire on the French magazine 'Le Charivari' that had been recently released. The magazine's name too was based on one of the founding members Lemon's comments. It was responsible for the modern use of the word cartoon to refer to a comic drawing. The magazine was forced to shut down in 1992 but was resurrected by a businessman some years later but never regained its initial fame onlt to shut for ever in 2002. Which is this illustrious magazine?
12.The galaxy X is the nearerst spiral galaxy to our very own Milky Way. It's visibility to the naked eye as a faint smudge makes it worthy of notice. The Indian scholars knew this galaxy as Draupadi, the wife of the five Pandavas. Identify X.
13.Who was the first to introduce broadband in India and what is its present avatar known as?
14.Connect the following images:
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
2. Which cricketer nicknamed Billy Bunter--the stout character from the Pickwick papers-- became embroiled in controversy in the third Test at Newlands ,during England's 1964-65 tour of South Africa, after he survived a bat-pad chance when England bowler Fred Titmus thought he had had him caught by Peter Parfitt in the gully?
3. Vladimir Nabokov dismissed this literary work-- which abandoned all conventions of plot and character construction and is written in a peculiar and obscure language, based mainly on complex multi-level puns(This approach is similar to, but far more extensive than that used by Lewis Carroll in Jabberwocky)--as "rubbish".During the progress of this work the author worked rapidly on it, but progress slowed considerably. This was due to a number of factors, including the death of his father , concern over the mental health of his daughter and his own health problems, including failing eyesight. Much of the work was done with the assistance of younger admirers, including Samuel Beckett.Identify the book and its famous author.
4. The gates of the X are behind the white VW Beetle on the left, which, according to some proponents of the "C is Dead" conspiracy theory, was parked there intentionally as a rebus. Those subscribing to the "C is Dead" theory believed the procession on this cover was supposed to reflect a preacher (A), an undertaker (B), a corpse (C) and a gravedigger (D).
There have been many homages to this iconic cover.
Identify X,A,B,C,the album and also explan the "C is dead" theory?
5. "After his first training session in heaven,'X',from his favourite right wing,turned the head of 'Y' who was filling in at left back.He nutmegged him and scored a wonderful goal from 30 yards out.I would love him to save me a place in his team- 'X' that is,not 'Y'."
Whose famous lines are these? Also identify 'X' and 'Y'.
Cassirer,Kessler,Druet,Stadel,Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda,Goring,Kramarsky,Saito.
(full names intenionally not given so as to prevent google-ing.)
7. ____,____ , What Are They Feeding You, _____, _____, It's Not Your Fault
They Won't Take You To The Vet, Oviously Not Their Favourite Pet, It May Not Be A Bed Of Roses, And You're Not Friend Of Those With Noses
_____, _____, What Are They Feeding You, ______, ______, It's Not Your Fault.
Fill in the blanks (all blanks have same answer)...hence name the song and the artist.
8. Which luxury brand carries a name of family of jewellers whose well known pieces include the famous Bestiary, the diamond necklace created for Yadavindra Singh the Maharaja of Patiala and in 1904 the first practical wristwatch, the "Santos"?
N.B. - Encrypt all answers in rot13 format:http://www.rot13.com/
P.S. - Questions 1 to 3 contributed by TPM.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Give X and Y...
In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's you !!
CATS: How are you gentlemen !!
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha ha ha ha ....
Operator: Captain !! *
Captain: Take off every 'ZIG'!!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'ZIG'.
Captain: For great justice.